Mr. Zaner is a zealous advocate for his clients, drawing on a unique collection of legal and non-traditional experience, all of which benefits his clients. He is the recipient of some of the best legal training in the country, a published author of federal case law and legal articles, and is an experienced stage actor. He has dedicated his legal career to representing folks against the modern day Goliaths. Whether fighting against the State’s unjust criminal prosecutions or battling corporations that refuse to take responsibility, Mr. Zaner enjoys the challenge of standing up for people that seemingly have the odds overwhelmingly stacked against them.
Mr. Zaner has spent his career honing his craft as a trial lawyer in order to even the playing field for his clients. After graduating law school near the top of his class and receiving the American Bar Association’s and American Law Institute’s Best Graduate Award – awarded to the one student of the graduating class who best represents a combination of scholarship and leadership – Mr. Zaner went on to clerk for United States District Judge Ken Marra. Working side by side with a Federal Judge on one of the largest caseloads in the country, Mr. Zaner learned the art of persuasive advocacy both through legal writing and courtroom theatrics. Most importantly, he learned how cases are won from behind the bench.
Prior to co-founding Zaner Harden Law, Mr. Zaner practiced with some of the best known trial lawyers in the country. In Florida, Mr. Zaner worked on the most complex of cases that resulted in a multi-billion dollar settlement; he also crafted federal case law that permitted workers around the country to collect wages from corporations that had been wrongly denying them. In Colorado, Mr. Zaner has successfully represented hundreds of clients across the State of Colorado, trying cases at every level of Colorado State Court. In earning victories for his criminal clients in the form of acquittals at trial, dismissals before trial, and dismissals from appellate courts, and for his civil clients in the form of the compensation they deserve, Mr. Zaner takes great pride in helping those that entrust their most significant legal problems to his law firm.
Mr. Zaner is very active in the Trial Lawyer Community, both locally and nationally, to ensure that he is current with cutting edge trial techniques and case strategies to benefit his clients. Locally, Mr. Zaner serves as a Chair of the Membership Committee for the Colorado Trial Lawyers Association (CTLA). He also serves as one of the few certified End Distracted Driving (EndDD Program) presenters for CTLA – Mr. Zaner has donated his time in high school classrooms in Colorado educating the next generation of drivers on the dangers of distracted driving. Nationally, Mr. Zaner was recently appointed as a Board of Governor on the New Lawyers Division for the American Association of Justice; he also serves the Publication Chair for the Quarterly National Publication for the NLD Division of the AAJ titled The Side Bar.
When not practicing law, Mr. Zaner spends much of his time with his wife outdoors in the mountains or on the stage in a local theater production.
Licensed in Florida and Colorado.
University of Florida, Levin College of Law
- Magna Cum Laude
- Order of the Coif (Top 10%)
- University of Florida Law Review, Board Member
- Recipient of ABA and ALI Best Graduate Award
- Outstanding Graduate Award, UF Trial Team
- Vice President, Florida Blue Key
University of Florida, B.A.
- Cum Laude, Roman History
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Federal Law Clerk to United States District Judge Kenneth A. Marra in the Southern District of Florida.
- Super Lawyers Rising Stars 2014
- Top 100 Trial Lawyers – The National Trial Lawyers Association
- Top 40 Trial Lawyers Under the Age of 40 Years Old – The National Trial Lawyers Association
- 10.0 SUPERB Rating by AVVO Lawyer Ranking System
- State of Florida
Federal Southern District of Florida
- State of Colorado
Colorado Federal District Court
- “Sad But Preventable – a Trial Lawyer’s Quest to End Distracted Driving and Save Lives” The Colorado Trial Lawyers’ Association publication Trial Talk, Volume 62, Issue 3, April/May 2013 publication at p. 26 (sole author).
- “Driving While on the Cell Phone; Punitive Damage Awards Should Come Through Loud and Clear” ABA’s The Brief, Tort Trial & Ins. Prac. Sec., Summer 2007, Vol. 35, No.4 (co-author), republished in The Colorado Trial Lawyers’ Association publication Trial Talk, Volume 62, Issue 3, April/May 2013 publication at p. 41.
- “National Security Policy and Ratification of the Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty” 32 Houston Journal of International Law 1 (2009) (contributing author).
- Vidinliev v. Carey, 581 F.Supp. 2d 1281 (N.D. Ga. 2008) – created federal case law in the area of worker’s rights.
- Colorado Trial Lawyer’s Association –Appointed Membership Chair November 2012, and New Lawyer Chair in 2013.
- American Association of Justice – Appointed Board of Governor on New Lawyers Division, June 2013.
- American Association of Justice – Appointed Chair of the Publications Committee for the NLD quarterly national publication, the Sidebar, July 2013.
- American Association for Justice – Attended Winter Conference in Miami Beach, Florida 2013, Summer Convention 2013 San Francisco, and Winter Convention 2014 in New Orleans.
- Actor (Len), A One Night Stand at the Vintage Theater, Don’t Throw the Cheese by Mark Ogle.
- Actor (Reverend Parris), The Crucible at Red Rocks Community Theater.
- Presenter, End Distracted Driving Campaign; presents programs to high school students to warn them of the dangers of distracted driving.
- Member, Membership Review Board, Denver Athletic Club.