Mr. Zaner is a zealous advocate for his clients, drawing on a unique collection of legal and non-traditional experience, all of which benefits his clients. He is the recipient of some of the best legal training in the country, a published author of federal case law and legal articles, and is an experienced stage actor. He has dedicated his legal career to representing folks against the modern day Goliaths. In battling corporations that refuse to take responsibility, Mr. Zaner enjoys the challenge of standing up for people that seemingly have the odds overwhelmingly stacked against them.
Mr. Zaner has spent his career honing his craft as a trial lawyer in order to even the playing field for his clients. After graduating law school near the top of his class and receiving the American Bar Association’s and American Law Institute’s Best Graduate Award – awarded to the one student of the graduating class who best represents a combination of scholarship and leadership – Mr. Zaner went on to clerk for United States District Judge Ken Marra. Working side by side with a Federal Judge on one of the largest caseloads in the country, Mr. Zaner learned the art of persuasive advocacy both through legal writing and courtroom theatrics. Most importantly, he learned how cases are won from behind the bench.
Prior to co-founding Zaner Harden Law, Mr. Zaner practiced with some of the best known trial lawyers in the country. In Florida, Mr. Zaner worked on the most complex of cases that resulted in a multi-billion dollar settlement; he also crafted federal case law that permitted workers around the country to collect wages from corporations that had been wrongly denying them. In Colorado, Mr. Zaner has successfully represented hundreds of clients across the State of Colorado, trying cases at every level of Colorado State Court. He has won million and multi-million dollar verdicts for his clients in Colorado, most recently landing on the front page of the Denver Post for a $2,500,000 verdict in Denver District Court. He has also appeared on Good Morning America, ABC World News Tonight, and nearly all of the local Denver News Channels. No matter how big or small the case, Mr. Zaner takes great pride in helping those that entrust their most significant legal problems to his law firm.
Mr. Zaner is very active in the Trial Lawyer Community, both locally and nationally, to ensure that he is current with cutting edge trial techniques and case strategies to benefit his clients. Locally, Mr. Zaner was recently elected to the Board of the Colorado Trial Lawyers Association (CTLA) and appointed to the Executive Committee. He also serves as a certified End Distracted Driving (EndDD Program) presenter for CTLA – Mr. Zaner has donated his time in high school classrooms in Colorado educating the next generation of drivers on the dangers of distracted driving. Nationally, Mr. Zaner was recently elected Vice President of New Lawyers Division for the American Association of Justice. As Vice President, Mr. Zaner will serve in leadership roles for the next six years for one of the largest and most active divisions in the most pre-eminent national trial lawyer organization in the Country. Mr. Zaner served as a Faculty member at the winter 2015 winter national convention in Palm Springs, educating his colleagues on how to win their case in just a page and a half; he also spoke as Faculty in Montreal at the Annual Convention in the summer of 2015 on Jury Selection and again as Faculty again this past summer at the Annual Convention in Los Angeles on Aggressive Settlement Strategies.
Mr. Zaner has been designated a Super Lawyer a recognition for the top 2.5 percent of lawyers in Colorado. He has also been recognized as a Top 100 Trial Lawyer in Colorado by The National Trial Lawyers, an invitation-only organization comprised of the most celebrated trial lawyers across the country; membership is offered to the select few in each state who demonstrate superior qualifications of leadership, reputation, influence, stature, and public profile. Mr. Zaner has also been recognized as a Top 40 Trial Lawyer Under the Age of 40 by The National Trial Lawyers, a limited invitation extended exclusively to lawyers under the age of 40 in each State that embody the highest standard of trial advocacy and leadership. Mr. Zaner consistently maintains a 10.0 SUPERB rating with AVVO, an attorney rating system that considers a lawyer’s practice, professional achievements and industry recognition.
When not practicing law, Mr. Zaner spends much of his time with his wife outdoors in the mountains or on the stage in a local theater production.
Licensed in Florida and Colorado.
University of Florida, Levin College of Law
- Magna Cum Laude
- Order of the Coif (Graduated Top 7%)
- University of Florida Law Review, Board Member
- Recipient of ABA and ALI Best Graduate Award
- Outstanding Graduate Award, UF Trial Team
- Vice President, Florida Blue Key
University of Florida, B.A.
- Cum Laude, Roman History
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Federal Law Clerk to United States District Judge Kenneth A. Marra in the Southern District of Florida.
- 5280 Top Lawyer 2017
- Super Lawyers Rising Stars 2014
- Super Lawyers Rising Stars 2015
- Super Lawyers 2016
- Top 100 Trial Lawyers – The National Trial Lawyers Association
- Top 40 Trial Lawyers Under the Age of 40 Years Old – The National Trial Lawyers
- 10.0 SUPERB Rating by AVVO Lawyer Ranking System
- State of Florida
Federal Southern District of Florida
- State of Colorado
Colorado Federal District Court
- Alhilo v. Kleim, Colorado Court of Appeals No. 15CA0072, October 6, 2016 – published opinion that affirmed the firm’s multi-million dollar motorcycle verdict and creating helpful case law for victims of drunk drivers (allowing for prior DUIs to come in as evidence) and for those who have lost loved ones in a wrongful death case (clarifying the damage cap to afford survivors the maximum benefit).
- “Sad But Preventable – a Trial Lawyer’s Quest to End Distracted Driving and Save Lives” The Colorado Trial Lawyers’ Association publication Trial Talk, Volume 62, Issue 3, April/May 2013 publication at p. 26 (sole author).
- “Driving While on the Cell Phone; Punitive Damage Awards Should Come Through Loud and Clear” ABA’s The Brief, Tort Trial & Ins. Prac. Sec., Summer 2007, Vol. 35, No.4 (co-author), republished in The Colorado Trial Lawyers’ Association publication Trial Talk, Volume 62, Issue 3, April/May 2013 publication at p. 41.
- “National Security Policy and Ratification of the Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty” 32 Houston Journal of International Law 1 (2009) (contributing author).
- Vidinliev v. Carey, 581 F.Supp. 2d 1281 (N.D. Ga. 2008) – created federal case law in the area of worker’s rights.
- American Association of Justice – Featured Speaker at National Summer Convention 2016 in Los Angeles – Settlement Strategies: The Best Defense is a Good Offense
- American Association of Justice – Featured Speaker at National Summer Convention 2015 in Montreal – Overcoming gender, age, and cultural bias in jury selection.
- American Association of Justice – Featured Speaker at National Winter Convention 2015 in Palm Springs – How to Win Your Case in a Page and a Half.
- American Association of Justice – Elected National Vice President of NLD Division 2016.
- American Association of Justice – Elected National Treasurer of NLD Division 2015.
- American Association of Justice – Elected National Secretary of NLD Division 2014.
- American Association of Justice – Appointed Board of Governor on New Lawyers Division, June 2013.
- American Association of Justice – Appointed Chair of the Publications Committee for the NLD quarterly national publication, the Sidebar, July 2013.
- Colorado Trial Lawyer’s Association – Elected to serve on Board as Board Member 2016.
- Featured Speaker at Sterling’s Seminar Personal Injury Law: From Start to Finish, “Settlement and Negotiation Strategies.”
- Colorado Trial Lawyer’s Association – Appointed to serve on Executive Committee and Legislative Committee 2016.
- Plaintiff’s Employment Law Annual Convention –Featured Speaker – How to Win Your Case in a Page and a Half.
- Colorado Trial Lawyers Association – Featured Speaker at Annual Blockbuster Convention 2016 – How to Win Your Case in a Page and a Half.
- Colorado Trial Lawyers Association – Featured Speaker at Summer Convention 2015 – How to Win Your Case in a Page and a Half.
- Colorado Trial Lawyer’s Association – Appointed to serve on Board as Board Member 2015.
- Colorado Trial Lawyer’s Association – Appointed Membership Chair November 2012, 2014 and New Lawyer Chair in 2013.
- Actor (Len), A One Night Stand at the Vintage Theater, Don’t Throw the Cheese by Mark Ogle.
- Actor (Reverend Parris), The Crucible at Red Rocks Community Theater.
- Presenter, End Distracted Driving Campaign; presents programs to high school students to warn them of the dangers of distracted driving.
- Director, Board of Directors, Denver Athletic Club.